Contact details (Research)
850, St-Denis, S03.452
Montréal, (QC) H2X 0A9
T 514 -890-8000 #31676
Contact details (School of Rehabilitation)
T 514 343-6111, #29924
F 514 343-2105
- B.Sc. Occupational Therapy, School of Physical and Occupational Therapy, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University (1996)
- M.Sc. Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University (2002)
- Ph.D. Rehabilitation Sciences,Rehabilitation Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia (2012)
- Postdoctorate, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Clinical and Health Informatics Research Group, McGill University (2010-2012)
- Postdoctorate, Postdoctoral Studies in youth mental health services and clinical health informatics,Department of Psychiatry and Clinical Health Informatics Group, McGill University; Douglas Mental Health University Institute (2014)
Current research projects
- An Integrated Self-Referral eHealth Strategy for Improving Rapid and Direct Access to Youth Mental Health Services: A Stepped-Wedge, Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial in Six Canadian Healthcare Settings (role: Principal Investigator; funded by: CIHR, 2016-2020)
- Internet-delivered Psychosocial Therapy for Maintaining the Treatment Effects of Specialized Early Intervention for Young Adults with Psychotic Disorders: A Multisite Randomized Controlled Trial of Horyzons- Canada – PHASE 1 – Adaptation and Pilot Testing (role: Principal Investigator; funded by: NARSAD Brain and Behaviour Research Foundation, 2015-2017)
- Developing, Implementing, and Evaluating a Model for Youth Mental Health Service Transformation: ACCESS*- Canada (role: Principal Investigator; funded by: CIHR, 2016-2020)
- Enhancing Youth Mental Health: A Program of Research into Mental Health Care Needs, Pathways, Outcomes and Services (role: co-Principal Investigator; funded by: CIHR, 2015-2017)
- Children and Youth in Challenging Contexts Knowledge Mobilization Network (role: co-investigator; renewal application funded by: National Centers of Excellence, 2016-2019)
- Lal, S., Nguyen, V., & Theriault, J. (2016). Seeking mental health information and support online: experiences and perspectives of young people receiving treatment for first‐episode psychosis. Early Intervention in Psychiatry. doi:10.1111/eip.12317.
- Lal. S., Dell’Elce J, Tucci N, Fuhrer R, Tamblyn R, Malla, A. (2015). Preferences of young adults with first-episode psychosis for receiving specialized mental health services using technology: A survey study. Journal of Medical Internet Research (JMIR) – Mental Health. 2(2): 1-18.
- Lal, S., Adair CE. (2014). E-mental health: A rapid review of the literature. Psychiatric services
- (Washington, D.C.). 65(1): 24-32.
- Lal, S., Jarus T, Suto MJ. (2012). A scoping review of the Photovoice method: Implications for occupational therapy research. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy. 79(3): 181-190.
- Lal, S., Ungar, M., Leggo, C., Malla, A.K., Frankish, J., Suto, M.J. (2013). Well-being and engagement in valued activities: Experiences of youth with psychosis. OTJR: Occupation, Participation, and Health, 33, 190-197. doi: 10.3928/15394492-20130912-02.
- Improving access and quality of youth mental health services
- Development, implementation, and evaluation of innovative models to increase youth and family access to, and engagement with mental health services
- Examining the use of information and communication technologies to support and augment the delivery of mental health information, services, and supports for youth and their families
- Understanding relapse, recovery, and well-being from the perspectives of youth and their families
- Knowledge translation (science and practice)
- Service evaluation; stakeholder engagement; participatory, qualitative and mixed methods research